SEO copywriting or SEO writing. These expressions have been around for quite a while, but they still represent a very young profession or type of writing. But what is this job about? What does an SEO copywriter do?
There are actually two types of answers to the question what does an SEO copywriter do. You need both to completely understand this profession.
- What’s the actual result of a work of an SEO copywriter.
- What is it that an SEO copywriter does on a day to day basis.
Make sure to read the whole article as we tackle both of these below.
The Result Of An SEO Copywriter’s Work
When talking about a profession, people often look at what someone in that job does on a day to day basis.
This is important, but sometimes it is much more meaningful to know what the actual result of that job is. Why is it useful? What is the very reason employers or clients pay for someone to actually do that job?
A good SEO copywriter produces online content, mostly website articles, that will rank high in search engines for desired keywords and attract a lot of visitors.
What Do SEO Copywriters Do?
Now that we now what an SEO copywriter needs to produce as a result, let’s find out what is it that they actually do on a day to day basis.
I know this is kind of an oversimplified answer, but this is the most important part of a job of an SEO copywriter.
You see, most people who are not familiar with this type of writing would think that what an SEO copywriter does is some kind of voodoo. They play around with keywords and tricks and whatever in order to deceive who knows what. Complicated in one word.
But SEO writing is not about tricks and keywords. It is writing in essence, of course with some special requirements.
What Are Those Requirements?
I hope this clarified at least part of the myth that’s around SEO copywriting. But now that you know that it is essentially writing, you might wonder what those special requirements are so that you can fully understand what an SEO copywriter does.
I am listing here what I find to be the most important requirements. Please refer to my article, SEO copywriting best practices (coming soon), to get a deeper understanding of the subject.
- Concentrating on the specific keyword. I find this is the most important skill of every experienced SEO copywriter. In order for your article to rank, you need to learn how to treat the keyword as a question and craft your copy as if it was the best answer for that question.
- Writing a catchy title and a meta description. These are both part of SEO copywriting, necessary for any content to rank. A good SEO copywriter knows his or her job and puts that extra 2-3 minutes to craft a catchy title and a perfect meta description.
- Using subheadings the right way. Some online writers don’t even use subheadings, even though this is one of the most important aspects of a good online copy. Subheadings help what’s called scan reading, so commonplace in today’s fast-paced world and so important in good SEO content.
- Writing the way that people like to read online. This is not specific to SEO writing techniques, but still important. Short sentences and paragraphs, catchy introduction, the use of everyday words are some examples of what you can use to achieve this.
I hope this helped you clarify what an SEO copywriter does. Make sure to browse our website as you can find a ton of useful information here on the subject. And if you have any questions about SEO writing, don’t hesitate to ask in the comment section below.