In this quick SEO guide I’m going to show you how to find out which keywords your site ranks for. This is actually a very easy process and you should do it as soon as you start optimizing your website.
The reason is, knowing what keywords your website is ranking for and knowing actually how to find this out gives you much deeper understanding of SEO. As you’ll see in this quick guide, simply by analyzing your keywords you’ll get to know the best free SEO tools and a load of information about your results.
Search Console And Webmaster Tools
All major search engines have a free service that’s usually called webmaster tools. Google switched to the name Search Console a few years ago, but it functions as a webmaster tool, giving you the same insight into your website’s SEO mechanics.
These services are completely free, and their goal is to help you rank your site better with reports and tips from search engines.
In this video I show you one method of adding your website to Google Search Console. There are actually a couple ways to verify your site, you can try out different versions.
Also check out Bing webmaster tools if you want to know which keywords your site ranks for in their search engine. Similarly, Yandex and Baidu also have their webmaster tools.
Please note that if you’ve just added your website to any of the above services, you should wait a couple of weeks to gather sufficient data to see the keywords your website is ranking for.
Find Out Which Keywords Your Site Ranks For In Google
Please note that to see your rankings, first you need to add your website to Google Search Console and verify it. You’ll also need to wait a couple of weeks after you’ve done this in order to see enough information about your keyword rankings.
- Log in to Google Search Console.
- Select the website you want to check your rankings for at the upper left corner if you have more than one registered.
- Check the Performance menu. Tip: If you happen to rank with Google Discover, check Search results instead.
- The default view of the Performance menu is “Queries”, which basically means keywords. There you see the list of all the keywords your site has ranked for in the last 3 months (you can change the date range for up to 16 months). FYI you need to click on “Average position” above to see your actual ranking for each keyword.
Find Out Which Keywords Your Site Ranks For In Bing
Please note that to see your rankings, first you need to add your website to Bing Webmaster Tools and verify it. You’ll also need to wait a couple of weeks after you’ve done this in order to see enough information about your keyword rankings.
- Log in to Bing Webmaster Tools.
- Click on the website you want to check your rankings for.
- Click on Reports & Data and then Search Keywords. You might need to click on Go to Search Performance to see the new report.
- Under Search Performance, you’ll see the list of the keywords your website is ranking for in Bing along with some additional information such as number of clicks and average position.